Does TRICARE West Cover Drug and Alcohol Rehab?

Find Out What Your Health Insurance Plan Will Cover

If you’re viewing this webpage, it’s likely that you’re one of the many individuals across the United States seeking substance use disorder treatment for yourself or a loved one.

Although you can work with an out-of-network provider or receive care at an out-of-network facility, affordability is a concern for most when it comes to finding drug and alcohol treatment. The good news is that TRICARE health insurance covers a range of treatment options for military veterans, active duty members, and their families.

Let’s talk about the addiction treatment options covered by TRICARE West so that you have answers and can make an informed choice.


TRICARE is healthcare program

TRICARE is a healthcare program dedicated to helping military members and their families access necessary medical and mental health services. Individuals with TRICARE coverage may include:

  • Active-duty service members
  • Active-duty family members
  • National Guard and Reserve Members and eligible family members
  • Survivors
  • Retirees and eligible family members
  • Certain former spouses
Confidential Insurance Coverage Verification – Call Now!
(877) 959-7271

Types Of Treatment Covered By TRICARE Insurance

TRICARE doesn’t cover aversion therapy and unproven treatments. Outside of that, many different mental health and substance abuse services are covered by TRICARE insurance plans. Here are some of the types of alcohol and drug treatment eligible TRICARE members can access with their military insurance plan.

Inpatient or residential treatment programs

TRICARE covers inpatient and residential care at various treatment centers. Inpatient and residential treatment programs require that you sleep, eat, and live at the facility for the duration of your program. Inpatient treatment programs offer a high level of support and help you refrain from drug and alcohol use.

You may qualify for inpatient or residential treatment if you experience challenges related to substance abuse or another mental health concern. Usually, inpatient and residential treatment programs last for around 1-3 months. They often involve therapy and processing groups, building a relapse prevention plan, and other helpful activities.

After you attend an inpatient program, you may step down to a partial hospitalization program, intensive outpatient program, or another lower-level form of addiction treatment.

Intensive outpatient programs (IOPs)

Tricare Coverage - Intensive outpatient programs

Intensive outpatient programs (IOPs) for alcohol and drug treatment are exactly what they sound like. IOPs give more support than other outpatient treatment services but allow you to sleep at home rather than at a residential or inpatient treatment center.

You may qualify for an intensive outpatient program if you:

  • Experience a substance use disorder or another mental health condition
  • Don’t need to be hospitalized full-time
  • Are working to stabilize, prevent relapse, or reduce symptoms
  • Need a higher level of can than you’re currently receiving
  • Are transitioning from an inpatient, residential, partial hospitalization, or another outpatient program

Partial hospitalization programs (PHPs)

Partial hospitalization programs (PHPs) include more sessions per week than intensive outpatient programs do. A PHP may be right for you if you’re not attending inpatient or residential treatment but require a higher level of care than outpatient programs can provide.

24 Hour Addiction Treatment Help – Call Now!
(877) 959-7271

Medication-assisted treatment (MAT)

Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) helps reduce the intensity of withdrawal symptoms and can aid individuals in relapse prevention. TRICARE may cover MAT if you live with Opioid addiction.

Medical detox

Medical detox helps you move through withdrawal symptoms safely when you stop using drugs or alcohol. You or your loved one may go to a detox center before entering inpatient addiction treatment services.

Hospitalization and emergency services

If you or a family member is struggling with addiction, hospitalization may be required in some instances. TRICARE insurance covers both emergency inpatient hospital services and emergency room visits.

If you have a substance use disorder, you may require an emergency hospital stay for:

  • Medical complications related to substance misuse
  • Stabilization from drug and alcohol use
  • Detoxification from drug and alcohol use
  • Psychiatric symptoms
  • Other emergencies


You’ll receive treatment at the nearest hospital available to admit you or otherwise provide care.

Other mental health services

Mental health services - Tricare Coverage

In addition to inpatient or residential treatment, outpatient treatment, PHPs, and other addiction-specific services, TRICARE covers various other medical and mental health services. With TRICARE health insurance, members can see therapists and psychiatrists who are TRICARE network providers.

What TRICARE Plan Do I Have?

The rehab center you attend will want to know the specific insurance plan you have before you enter treatment. There’s a range of different TRICARE plans, including:

  • TRICARE Prime
  • TRICARE Prime Remote
  • TRICARE Prime Overseas
  • TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas
  • TRICARE Select
  • TRICARE Select Overseas
  • TRICARE For Life
  • TRICARE Reserve Select
  • TRICARE Retired Reserve
  • TRICARE Young Adult
  • US Family Health Plan
Immediate Help For Addiction – Call Now!
(877) 959-7271

If you’re not sure what TRICARE plan you have (e.g., TRICARE Reserve Select, TRICARE Young Adult), check your insurance card. If you can’t find your TRICARE insurance card, visit the TRICARE website to request a new insurance card.

Rehab centers will verify your insurance to ensure that it covers your care at their facility before you enter treatment. If you need help with insurance verification, Find Addiction Rehabs can help.

FAQs: Does Tricare West Cover Drug and Alcohol Rehab?

Will TRICARE for Life pay for rehab?

Yes, TRICARE for Life covers in-network inpatient drug and alcohol rehab for eligible members.

Does TRICARE cover outpatient rehab?

Yes, TRICARE plans cover in-network outpatient treatment services for substance abuse and other mental health concerns for eligible members. Some people transition to outpatient substance abuse treatment after inpatient rehab, but others enter outpatient treatment programs at the beginning of their recovery journey.

Can you be discharged from the military for alcoholism?

Most of the time, you will not be discharged from the military due to alcohol or drug use. Instead, if you are an active duty service member, you’ll likely receive a referral for counseling, therapy, or inpatient services. Alcohol misuse is common among military members and their families, and you deserve to get the help you need.

Does Rehab disqualify you from the military?

No. Despite common misconceptions, attending rehab for substance abuse disorders won’t disqualify you from the military. However, in some situations, a history of drug use can disqualify you from the military whether you do or do not attend addiction treatment.

Find Substance Abuse Treatment with TRICARE West

If you or your loved one is a TRICARE West recipient seeking in-network drug and alcohol rehab, we can help. Find Addiction Rehabs is dedicated to helping people find treatment for substance use disorders. We can assist you whether you have military insurance via TRICARE or are covered by other insurance options.

Find TRICARE West Treatment Options Nationwide – Call Now!
(877) 959-7271

Our hotline is free and available 24/7 for individuals with substance use disorders and their loved ones.

When you call, we’ll help you:

  • Find in-network alcohol and drug treatment that meet your needs
  • Verify your insurance coverage for substance abuse treatment, regardless of the health care plan you have
  • Access other helpful resources for individuals and loved ones of those with substance use disorders


Call Find Addiction Rehabs now to learn about your alcohol and drug rehab options, all with complete confidentiality and without any obligation!


TRICARE West covers eligible members in various US states, including Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Oregon, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa (excluding the Rock Island Arsenal area), Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri (excluding the St. Louis area), Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, some parts of Texas (Amarillo, Lubbock, and El Paso areas only), Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.


* Disclaimer: Find Addiction Rehabs is not affiliated with or endorsed by TRICARE West. Details about TRICARE’s coverage are intended for informational purposes only. The specific details of your TRICARE West plan may vary and the specific treatment services you require may or may not be covered. Please call our representatives today for more definitive details on your plan and options.

Medically Reviewed By

Scroll to Top
Call Now ButtonCall Now (877) 941-2705